Once again, Rhode Islanders strongly supported infrastructure and environmental bond issues on the 2014 ballot. Thank you, forward-thinking Rhode Islanders! These are important, essential, investments in our future.
The Transportation bond will do the following:
- Create more well-paid construction jobs to strengthen our transit system
- Contribute to creating new businesses and economic development, because a 21st Century transit system will connect people with jobs, and help grow our economy
- Reduce congestion on our roads, making our commutes faster and safer
- Result in a cleaner environment: less congestion means less carbon emissions into our air
The Clean Water/Open Space bond will also create a lot of jobs and at the same time:
- Upgrade wastewater treatment plants to protect Narragansett Bay
- Repair and/or remove dams, some of which threaten life.
- Cleanup contaminated industrial sites
- Provide capital for clean water projects
- Improve recreational facilities for Rhode Islanders
- Improve Roger Williams Park infrastructure
- Construct new exhibits at Roger Williams Park Zoo, RI's single most visited tourist attraction
- Increase land devoted to agriculture